St Mary's Church, Westonzoyland
Graveyards in Westonzoyland
There are three main graveyards in Westonzoyland
There are no burials conducted in the Churchyard at Westonzoyland.
The Church graveyard was closed for burials in 1905. Permission was obtained for the burial of Ashes in 1971. This is now closed as the area designated is now full. The Church graveyard is administered by the Parochial Church Council and maintained by Sedgemoor District Council. There are no historic records existing for the churchyard graves and many of the stones are weathered and can no longer be read.
Burials in Westonzoyland are conducted in the open Westonzoyland Parish Cemetery at the west end of the village. The closed Westonzoyland Parish Cemetery opened in 1905 and closed in the late 1980s. This is on the Main Road to the east of the church. This is where the R.A.F. graves from R.A.F. Westonzoyland are located. Both are administered by the Parish Council Clerk. The funeral directors make the arrangements for burials with the parish clerk. Any enquiries about these grave yards should be made to the Parish Clerk on 01278 427692.
Permission may be granted for a memorial stone to be erected in the Parish Church Graveyard and this can be sought through the Rector. Burial of remains are forbidden.
There are a few burials at the front of the former Methodist Chapel which is now a house. Any enquiries for this site should be made to the Taunton Methodist Circuit leader.